Over-the-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids
Think you may be suffering from hearing loss?
48 million Americans suffer from some degree of hearing loss.
Take our Hearing Self-Assessment Quiz to find out if you have accepted your hearing loss as a difficult reality, and if it is truly time to seek help from Audiology professionals.Take the Hearing Quiz Now!
At this time we do not offer OTC hearing devices. Over-the-Counter hearing aids are not prescribed specific to the individual's hearing loss, are self-fitted, and do not come with local service and support. We feel that hearing health care is a discussion that you and your Audiologist should have, face-to-face. Getting a diagnostic hearing test, understanding the type of hearing loss, ruling out any ear diseases, and obtaining a hearing health plan along with the proper device and support are critical in your long term hearing health care management.
Call the office to schedule a hearing evaluation and discuss what device and service plan is optimal for you.Tell Us About Your Hearing Issues Today
Questions About the New Over-the-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids?
"Prescriptive" Hearing Aids
- All ages
- For all losses - individuals with mild to profound hearing loss
- Are available from a hearing healthcare professional that provides testing, fitting & verification, counseling, and service for the hearing aids
- A comprehensive hearing exam is completed by a hearing healthcare professional to detect potential undetected medical issues, obtain a professional audiogram, determine proper aid choice, fitting & verification
- Access to appropriate and ongoing follow-up care, counseling, and aural rehabilitation to ensure success
- State-mandated trial period
New "OTC" Hearing Aids
- Are only approved for adults 18 years of age and older
- Are only approved for individuals with perceived mild-to-moderate hearing loss
- Are available in stores or online and the consumer is responsible for setting up the device, including fitting and tuning the sound (there is a potential for over-amplification)
- Do not require a hearing exam or prescription from a physician or a hearing-health-care professional; there is a risk of an ear disorder going undiagnosed (e.g., cholesteatoma or acoustic neuroma)
- No follow-up care with a hearing professional is included in purchase
- No mandated trial period or return policy for OTC devices