Snoring: It could be a sign of something more serious.
If you or your loved one’s sleep is being interrupted by snoring, you’re not alone.
Somewhere around half of the adults in the United States snore at least occasionally, while one in every four adults snore routinely. With 65% of snorers’ spouses complaining that it keeps them up at night, snoring can even lead to relationship strain. Even worse, snoring is usually a sign of a more serious issue. It’s time to get better sleep, schedule with Noel ENT’s Sleep Center today.I'm ready to experience restful sleep.
Why do I snore?
There are many different reasons someone might be a snorer, but the same process generally causes all snoring. When the air coming in through the nose and mouth becomes turbulent it can cause the throat to vibrate and produce the noise we are all familiar with.
As you sleep the muscles in your mouth, throat, and tongue begin to relax. This can cause your airway to narrow which creates the forceful turbulent air that is snoring.
But what causes snoring?
What causes my snoring?
Some causes of snoring are:
- Nasal Structure - Things like a deviated septum, nasal polyps, and swollen turbinates can cause people to breathe through the mouth when sleeping because it is difficult to breathe through the nose.
- Sinus Issues - Chronic sinusitis, a cold, allergies, and other sinus issues can cause nasal congestion that leads to mouth breathing and snoring.
- Sleep Apnea - Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that causes the sufferer to occasionally stop breathing while asleep. Sleep apnea can cause serious symptoms and lead to other dangerous health conditions.Learn more about Sleep Apnea
- Other Causes - Other things can also lead to snoring such as alcohol consumption, elongated soft palate or uvula, and weight gain.
How do I know if I snore? Snoring Symptoms
Most of the time, if you do not notice that you are a snorer, there is a good chance your loved ones will let you know. However, it’s not only your loved ones that your snoring impacts. Symptoms and health issues that are caused by snoring include:
- Daytime fatigue
- Hard time concentrating
- A sore throat
- Restlessness when sleeping
- High blood pressure
Some symptoms of snoring that can be a sign of a significant health problem include:
- Waking up gasping or choking
- Snoring so loudly your partner can’t sleep
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms of snoring, it is important to consult your ENT to avoid serious long-term health issues.
Your Snoring May Be Impacting You More Than You Know
If you think that you are suffering from any of the symptoms of snoring or know that you do snore, take our sleeping quiz to see how snoring is truly impacting your life.Take Our Sleep Quiz
Snoring Treatment Options
When it comes to treating snoring, your solution will depend on the cause and severity of your snoring as well as your personal treatment goals. Some treatment plans may include any of the following:
- Lifestyle Enhancements - Lifestyle changes such as weight loss, reduction of alcohol consumption, utilizing a better sleep posture, and smoking cessation can help reduce snoring.
- Breathing Machine - Machines such as a CPAP or BiPAP can push air into the airway to help maintain normal airflow while sleeping.
- Oral Appliances - Oral appliances are used to treat sleep apnea by controlling the tongue and jaw to prevent airflow blockage.
- Sinus Issue Solutions - If your snoring is determined to be caused by a nasal issue, such as a blockage, getting the sinus issue fixed may help reduce snoring.
At Noel ENT, we provide thorough sleep testing that will help us to diagnose the cause of your snoring. Our sleep testing rooms are decorated to look like a luxury hotel room complete with a queen-sized bed, flat-screen TV, WiFi, and tower fans. The ambiance of each room is conducive to helping you relax as well as possible.
If you are worried about the inconvenience or expense of using one of our sleep testing rooms, we offer at-home sleep testing. Some people prefer this because of its convenience and comfortability.
No matter your preferred sleep testing method, we can provide high-quality sleep testing and diagnosis.I want more info about the sleep testing
Snoring Solutions at Noel ENT
Our dedicated sleep care team can test and treat sleeping disorders. At Noel ENT we have the knowledge and experience to diagnose and treat your snoring.Schedule Today!